Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Blog 2, The Supernatural!

Well the supernatural is something that I have no definite answer about or opinion on. I do believe in some supernatural things, but others, I think are stupid and unreal, it all just depends. In definition, supernatural is anything above or beyond what one holds to be natural and exists outside natural law and the observable universe. So this leaves a huge world of things that we could be talking about when we say supernatural.
If we are talking about supernatural in a religious sense, then I do not believe in any god in particular or believe any strict religion. I rather take bits and pieces from all religions that I think work well to fit my life and beliefs, and apply them to me. So even though I do not believe in a god, I do believe in some sort or higher power. I believe in something more then just human life. I don’t know if I believe in a heaven or hell exactly, but I do believe in a different place we cannot see, but we simply know is there. Such a alternate dimensions or parallel universes.
Now, if we are talking about scary ghosts then that’s a little different. I believe that when people die, the energy from their souls and bodies lives on in some form. I do not know if I believe in the white light and the big heaven gates where you see all your past relatives and friends waiting to greet you, and you can look down on all your loved ones still alive, but it is a nice idea. And I suppose everyone needs something to look forward to after life, or death would just be so much more depressing, but that could lead into a totally different topic all together, so lets leave it at that.
    Its hard to put my believes on the supernatural into solid viewpoints or values. I do however, strongly believe in science. I think that I use science to explain many of my beliefs if not all of them. I use science to explain my beliefs on religion, the after life, gods and higher powers, other worlds and heaven and hell, and sub natural beings.
    I believe for horror film purposes, using the supernatural to scare people works very well. This tactic works so well because the supernatural is exactly that, supernatural. For example, you can talk about wolves all day on Animal Planet, and they are not scary. And people, we see people all day long everyday, we work and live with them and although people can do scary things, in general, people are not afraid of other people. But when you combine the two, you get a werewolf, a classic character used to scare people. The werewolf is scary because it is not natural. It is uncontrollable and frightening in physical appearance. Werewolves are something we see in movies all the time and they scare us because wolves exist, as do people, so why not werewolves? Is it really possible? There is no world wide test to say that werewolves are absolutely not real, and even if there was, would that really do anything to calm our fears? I believe this same theory works for every part of supernatural used in movies; spells, witches, monsters, zombies, demons, ghosts, and many more. People are scared of the supernatural because the supernatural is always perceived as dark, and chilling, and uncontrollable, and stronger, and more powerful then us simple humans.
As far as movies go, the uncontrollable, unexplainable, gloomy side of the supernatural is a good fear tactic for the fact that it is all those things. But as far as religion, and afterlife, and ghosts, and such things go, I believe people need something to believe in. People need to believe in the supernatural whether it is for entertainment purposes, or to help them get out of bed in the morning. People need to have that little glimmer of fear, so that things like Paranormal Activity, or The Sixth Sense can scare and entertain them. And they need to believe in something supernatural to have happy lives. People force themselves to believe in heaven so that they are not afraid of death, or so that they have something good to feel, something to make it all okay when someone they love passes away. People need to believe in hell and sins so they can be the best people they can be. And people force themselves to believe in God, and a higher power, and a grand plan, so that they can explain things like genocide, war, terror, the holocaust, and all other bad things. People make themselves believe these things from the time they are born even though there has never, ever been solid evidence to support it because they are the simple things that people turn to when they need answers and guidance. Whether we all believe in the same thing, it doesn’t matter, because we all believe in something which makes us better people, and all together, makes the world simply a better place.

No comments:

Post a Comment