Sunday, November 14, 2010

The Shining- Author and Setting Questions

I think The Shining is supposed to be something people can relate to, making it scarier. The point of the whole book is to give the readers something interesting and entertaining, while being extremely scary. For as famous as the book and movie are and have stayed throughout the years, it apparently got the job done. I think the author used many key points with the family setup to relate to the reader. No one has a perfect family, and King uses a very dysfunctional family in his novel. The father is a seemingly good man, who has done some bad things and had a problem with alcohol, and the son has some mental issues we are figuring out along the way. The family isn’t perfect but they clearly love each other and are just trying to get it together and be happy in a not so perfect situation, this is relatable.
    To write this novel, I believe the author had to know how to relate to the average American. The author had to know the little things that would scare a person. The music that plays in a person’s head, the images that run in the readers mind, and how every word has to be exactly right to keep the reader hooked. I do believe the author knows how to do all these things. King has become extremely famous through his novels and movies and his books have shown to be timeless. However, I do not think I would read another book by Stephen King. I have found The Shining to be extremely hard to read and pay attention to. It takes a really amazing book to keep me entertained, as I am just not much of a reader in general. There are books out there that I would pay a million dollars for and read 1000 pages of, and then read again and again. But The Shining is just not that book no matter how much I want to enjoy it, I just don’t.
    The setting of the book has many important things and places that make the book and movie what they are. Most importantly, the Overlook Hotel as a whole. The Overlook hotel had been repeatedly sold and purchased, resulting in a vast history of conspiracy and death. When Danny Torrance came to the hotel, the ghosts of the Overlook's past came to life in the form of the Torrance family. The novel is supposed to be based during the 1970’s. I think the scene where the Father Jack, is chasing Danny throughout the maze in the snow outside the hotel, is the best part of the whole book, and really is what people think of when they remember the book or the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment